Post – nasal drip (PND) which is a common issue that may be observed among many people regardless of age or genders. The great mucus production causes it by the nasal mucosa. It is an uncomfortable and irritating condition to encounter.
Usually, the mucus (which is a thick and wet substance) is produced by those glands located in the lining of nose, throat or airways. It can help to moisture and cleans the nasal membranes, dampens the air in the airways, ambush those foreign objects as well as fight back the infections. Usually, you do not realise that you swallow the mucus unconsciously throughout the day. However, once the mucus is overproduced, it starts to drip behind your nose, thereby, post – nasal drip will be formed.
Some symptoms of this irritating issue are that hoarseness, sore throat, coughing, difficulty in swallowing and congestion.
The causes for post – nasal drip may vary. However, those common causes are a common cold, flu, sinus infection, allergies, spicy foods, cold temperature and excessively dry air inhalation. Moreover, fumes from chemicals, cleaning products or perfumes as well as hormonal changes are also considered as culprits for this disease.
While this disease seems to be hard – core player, you actually can seek for several natural home remedies to treat it. But then again, it is better to consult a doctor as soon as possible when you have already adopted these methods for more than one week, and there is no signal of improvement.
Here are several home remedies that you may take a look and give them a try.
Firstly, gargling with salt water is one of the best and most effective methods to adopt to treat the PND. The salt ingredient in this solution can loosen the mucus; thereby you may get rid of the PND in an easier way. Moreover, it can remove the irritants causing PND as well.
- Add some salt into a glass of warm water.
- Stir it well till the salt dissolves in the water.
- Use this solution to gargle 2 – 3 times day especially in the morning.
- Steam Inhalation
Use the vapour treatments with essential oils to enhance the effects to manipulate the excess mucus production in your throat so that your PND may be removed faster.
- Boil a pot of water with some drops of essential oils such as coconut oil, olive oil or tea tree oil.
- Use a clean towel to cover your head and your neck and place your face over the hot water.
- Deeply breathe in the vapour from the hot water.
- Repeat the process for several times on a daily basis until you completely recover.
- Note: This is not recommended for young children and infants.
- Nasal Irrigation
Nasal irrigation can break the overproduced mucus so that the symptoms of PND will be removed as soon as possible. It also can keep the nasal ways free from foreign objects and other irritants, thereby, the further infection will be prevented.
- Add some salt and baking soda into a cup of warm water.
- Fill a pot with this fluid.
- Squirt this solution into one of your nostrils
- Tilt your head as long as the solution can reach to your nasal cavities.
- Blow your nose so that the solution come along with excessive mucus can be removed.
- Repeat the process for several times a day for a few days.
Garlic with its powerful antibiotic and antibacterial properties will be very effective in treating PND. It can manipulate the overproduction of mucus and prevent further infection. Moreover, it can speed up the healing process as well.
- Grind 3 – 4 cloves of garlic and roast them in butter
- Consume them with milk twice a day for several days
- Alternatively, you can chew some raw garlic as well
Ginger which is known as powerful decongestant contains strong antiviral, antibiotic and antibacterial properties so that it can help to reduce the overproduction of mucus. Also, it expectorant compounds can help you in soothe the chest congestion, sore throat as well as hoarseness.
- You may consume 2 – 3 cups of ginger tea on a daily basis.
- Cut some slices of ginger and put into a cup of hot water and let it simmer for 10 minutes
- Add some honey to enhance the taste and enjoy your tea.
- Cayenne Pepper
With its incredible antihistamine, cayenne pepper can help you in treating PND. The Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin compound that can loosen the mucus and eliminate it after that. It can soothe a sore throat as well.
- Mix some cayenne pepper with some honey
- Consume it 2 – 3 times on a daily basis for several days.
- Alternatively, add some cayenne pepper powder into a cup of warm water and drink it slowly.
- Repeat the process for several times a day.
Bio: Jelly Jeff is a senior editor of AuthorityRemedies; that a website which is specialised in providing natural home remedies, tips and also nutrition facts to improve the well-beings. She is a nurse, but she keeps to explore nutrition and fitness. Also, she loves writing and doing research. She appreciates being a good writer in nutrition.